Friday, November 7, 2008

Thanksgiving Feast

Once I heard that I had to cut out wheat and dairy, first, for my husband and then for our children, I knew that things in our lives would change. Life in our society has so many events with food traditions, this was going to get tricky.
Thanksgiving was a biggie!!! What to do for stuffing or Grandma's Rolls?!!!
Oh boy.
Well, we have figured out some very yummy Turkey Day delights that are already on many tables.
First of all we get a huge turkey ('cause we like the whole thing and then the leftovers for a couple days). For basting I use margarine or Olive Oil (Cold Pressed). For stuffing we LOVE our rice and sausage stuffing with chopped up celery and onions. Potatoes are good 'ol traditionally mashed potatoes. We actually skip rolls. Is there anything else? Well, if there is a need for more in your home, cook up some more veggies, and a great salad. I also have a new recipe from my friend, Denise, for a Butternut Squash Souffle that is almost a dessert.

Stuffing: Cook 4 cups of rice (any kind your family loves)
add 1 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup chopped carrots, and 1/2 cup chopped red onions, and 1 lbs cooked sausage( your level of spiciness). Stir this all together and add salt and pepper. Stuff the bird and enjoy the thought that all of those tasty turkey juices will soak into that rice meshing with the tastes of the sausage for a wonderful stuffing.

Mashed Potatoes: See one of my first postings. Easy!!!!

Don't forget the Pumpkin Pie! Yep you can do it wheat and dairy free. See the next posting!
Enjoy.

No comments: