Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Canning

Well, it might surprise some, but I can't remember the last time I actually canned. I don't think I ever have all by myself. I've turned a new leaf!!


After having a canning class at our home last night and going to a friend's home to watch, I ventured into the world of solo canning! Salsa is a favorite for our family, so that seemed like the best way to start:

80 Roma tomatoes quartered
4 jalepenos
3 red onions
3 T sugar
3 bunches of cilantro
3 T

I put everything in the blender leaving a little out for later. The first part I put in a big pot and then the second part I chopped up bigger and added it to the pot. I cooked everything for about 15 minutes and then followed the directions for canning.

I did taste the salsa while I was cooking it to make sure I liked the level of heat from the Jalepenos and also that the vinegar didn't make it too bitter.


No comments: